What is our mission? How are we structured? What is our history?
The League of Women Voters has two separate and distinct roles.
The League came to Green Bay on September 25, 1929. In the 1930's it was first known as the Brown County League. The Green Bay League started in 1932 under the presidency of Virginia Trowbridge, immediately beginning a successful campaign to repeal a City Council resolution barring married women from city employment. Since then the Green Bay League has worked to end discriminatory pay for women, spearheaded efforts to establish a countywide detention home for juveniles, and supported the creation of a county executive office. In 1945, a five-year campaign was launched to promote an Air Pollution Control Ordinance. The passage of this ordinance contributed to Green Bay being awarded All-America City status in 1965.
In 1957, DePere became a separate group in order to study and take action on local items. In April, 1965, due to a new national policy permitting an area organization and to changing times, the Leagues merged. The present name, League of Women Voters of Greater Green Bay, was adopted in 1970.
Today the LWVGGB continues to work on local issues that also mirror national concerns: air and water pollution, mental and physical health care, urban and rural growth, and resource management.
Read more about the LWVGGB history in the Winter/Spring 2011 Voyageur magazine.